Friday, April 22, 2011

Unexplored Murud: The Nawab Siddi's Palace


On Friday I got an opportunity to explore the restricted palace from somewhat close distance thanks to the fact that the Nawab is some long-distance relative and Friday prayers are held in the Masjid inside.

I didn't explore the palace from inside and I think I made a big mistake of not seeking permission from the Nawab and losing this golden opportunity.

Anyways whatever I have explored is as follows:


The Masjid

The Masjid was earlier not used, but now the Nawab has opened it up for public. Many people come here for Friday prayers now.
There is one large tomb, next to the Masjid with some more graves behind. Probably this was the private graveyard of the Siddis.






The place for performing Wadhu:




View from the top of Masjid:



Also present is some Dargah behind it.



Ruined Buildings

There are many dilapidated buildings in the area thanks to lack of maintainence.

Some buildings are totally ruined like this one:




Others are still standing:





There is even a ruined fountain:





The Palace

This is one structure in the palace compound that is still standing properly and is well maintained obviously because the Nawab stays there.



The Nawab (on left) with my uncle:




A small canon in front of the palace:




Next time InshaAllah I will surely seek permission to explore the inside of the palace.

6 comments:

Deguide said...

That is gr8 palace with full of history, next time when you go you should try to learn the legacy behind it. GOOD EFFORT

dileepgupte@hotmail.com said...

I am not related to the Nawab. Can I visit the place, even at a cost?ekingspe

Fazeel Kazi said...

No I don't believe you will be able to. Nawab won't entertain vistors as that would open a plethora of tourists wanting to come in.

daniel said...

thanks for sharing this but seriouly do want to see and know more i myself do viist here every time as we have bunglow here ad eveyr time i come till the gate pls do some hting if you can for getting permission.

Fazeel Kazi said...

Sorry to disappoint you Daniel, as I already mentioned in above comments, it won't be possible.
Once consolation I can give if you want to see it from inside, there's a movie shot entirely in the palace, you could see that to get a feel of the place.
BTW, where's your bungalow?

Unknown said...

Hi I am a journalist doing some work on Siddi rulers in India. Would it be possible for me to have a phone conversation with the Nawab? I dont want to enter the palace in any way. Please let me know if you could put me through to him.